This Wednesday, June 29th is National Waffle Iron Day. Breakfast and brunch is one of my favorite meals and I LOVE waffles topped with blueberry sauce. I thought, what better way to celebrate the beloved waffle and the kitchen tool that makes them possible, than with a delicious, easy blueberry sauce recipe. This recipe is quite versatile. Drizzle it on vanilla ice cream for a simple dessert or try it on pancakes.
Local blueberries and mountain huckleberries will soon be in season in Washington. You can easily swap out the blueberries for huckleberries, which are very similar.
Blueberries are native to North America and very high in antioxidants.
I recommend shopping your local farmer’s market for these little blue bundles of deliciousness. Follow this link to find a Puget Sound farmer’s market near you. Find A Market Near You!
Essentials for this recipe:
Did you know waffles have been around since the 14th century? The first American patent for a waffle iron was issued in 1869. Since then, Americans have been making all kinds of delicious waffle creations. For more amazing waffle recipes to celebrate National Waffle Iron Day, scroll down and visit the many recipes from the folks participating in today’s #SundaySupper movement. And a special thanks to Sue Lau from A Palatable Pastime for hosting this week’s #SundaySupper event.
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Black Raspberry Cheesecake Lemon Waffles by From Gate to Plate
- Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles by Alida’s Kitchen
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Pizelles – The Italian Waffle by GirlAbroad
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- “Elvis Waffles” Peanut Butter Bacon with Banana by Dash of Evans
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Iced Gluten Free Waffle Cookies by What The Fork Food Blog
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebobs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
Savory Brinner Winners:
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Eggs Benedict Waffle by Brunch-n-Bites
- Falafel Waffles by Helpful Homemade
- Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Scallion Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Easy peasy blueberry sauce
- 2 cups blueberries (1 U.S. pint)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp spoon sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
Combine all the ingredients in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Transfer the sauce to a jar. Use immediately. Store in the fridge.
Microwave the sauce for 20-30 seconds and add a small amount of water as needed to thin the sauce after refrigeration.