My oh my…this is a family favorite and one kids get excited about. This week’s #SundaySupper is all about kids favorites. This homemade creamy Alfredo sauce is super easy to make. It’s rich, creamy, cheesy and delicious. My kids love their Alfredo sauce with orecchiette pasta. Orecchiette literally translates to “little ears.” Its small cup-like shape, grasps the sauce nicely. My family was introduced to orecchiette pasta in Puglia (Apulia).
Puglia is in the “heel” of Italy’s boot. This beautiful area of Southern Italy is known for gorgeous beaches, sparkling blue water, quaint towns and Trulli houses. And while orecchiette pasta is more traditionally served with a tomato-based sauce, I’ve decided to change traditions up a bit today.
Taking time for family and sharing a meal together is very important. My kids enjoy making this meal with me. They each have a role to play in measuring the ingredients or stirring the sauce. I think adding the Parmesan cheese is their favorite part. This Alfredo sauce will pair nicely with a variety of pastas. Use your favorite if you cannot find orecchiette. Penne or fettuccine will work just fine. And because this sauce is very rich, it’s considered a special treat.
Always finalize the cooking of pasta in your sauce. This infuses the pasta with additional flavor.
Essential items for this recipe:
- If you find the sauce is becoming too thick too fast, add a little pasta water to thin it out. Add a small amount at a time.
- Use garlic sparingly, otherwise it will be overpowering. Garlic should be cooked on medium until it sizzles. If it turns brown (too hot, too fast), it will spoil the dish. At this point, the flavor turns bitter. So, it must be watched carefully.
For more great kid favorite recipes, visit the links below from my friends at #SundaySupper. Special thanks to Ellen Folkman of Family Around the Table, host of this week’s #SundaySupper. Enjoy your Sunday with family. Happy cooking and happy eating!
- Dueling Gyozas – Pork vs. Tofu by Food Lust People Love
- Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips by Dessert Geek
- Pizza Rolls by From Gate to Plate
- S’mores Cheeseball by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- 3-Ingredient Nutella S’mores Quesadillas by Shockingly Delicious
- Aunt Deborah’s Snickerdoodles by Family Around The Table
- Chocolate Frozen Custard by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Easy Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream by Where Latin Meets Lagniappe
- Easy Nutella Mousse by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Fairy Bread Funfetti Milkshakes by The Crumby Cake
- Grape Juice Jigglers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Gumdrop Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Cherry Popsicles by Pies and Plots
- Japanese Peach Boy Ice Cream by The Ninja Baker
- Mango Creamsicles by The Redhead Baker
- No-Cook Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream by Hardly A Goddess
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- S’mores Cheesecake by The Freshman Cook
- Turtle Poke Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Whoopie Pies by Monica’s Table
- Broccoli Cheese Soup by Wholistic Woman
- Corn Dog Muffins by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Deep Dish Pizza Casserole by My World Simplified
- Easy Chicken & Dumplings by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Grilled Pizza Flatbread Bar by Momma’s Meals
- How to Set Up a Hot Dog Bar by An Appealing Plan
- Lobster Gnocchi by Caroline’s Cooking
- Madison’s Shrimp Lasagna Rolls by Life Tastes Good
- Orecchiette Pasta with Creamy Alfredo Sauce by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Pasta with Quattro Formaggio by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Slow Cooker Cauliflower Mac and Cheese by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Spaghetti and Meatball Casserole by Cooking with Carlee
- Stovetop Mac and Cheese by The Chef Next Door
- Tuna Salad Grinders by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Caprese Quesadillas by Simple and Savory
- Maple Brown Sugar Granola Clusters by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Waffle Parfait by Our Good Life
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Orecchiette with creamy Alfredo sauce ~ kids favorite #SundaySupper
- 1 box pasta nearly cooked through al dente
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium-sized garlic clove crushed and finely minced
- 2 cups heavy cream or half and half
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh Italian parsley minced (if desired)
Cook the pasta according to the package instructions shy of about 3 minutes cooking time. In the meantime, prepare the sauce.
In a large skillet, heat the butter and the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and cook until it begins to soften.
Add the cream, cheese and pepper. Simmer and stir for a couple minutes until it begins to thicken.
Add the cooked al dente pasta to the sauce and continue to simmer for two minutes.
Sprinkle with the Italian parsley if desired and any additional Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of http://www.pineneedlesinmysalad.com For more great recipes, join our email mailing list. Essentials: Orecchiette pasta Heavy Whipping Cream Cheese grater Large skillet Variations: Add 1/4 cup of frozen peas and 1/2 - 3/4 cup cooked chicken to the sauce as it simmers. Use different pastas: Fettuccine or Penne suggested.