Quiche is an easy treat on weekend mornings or suitable for brunch or even dinner in a pinch. It’s a great way to use up left over meats and vegetables. Keep the following tips in mind when making quiche and you’ll have no-fail delicious pies that impress your family and friends.
- Keep to 3 main ingredients. Any more, and you run the risk that it will be too crowded and sometimes soggy.
- Add a little flour to the shredded cheese (about ½ tsp). It helps thicken the quiche.
- Do not over beat your eggs. If you add too much air, your quiche will rise and then flop.
- Layer the ingredients. It helps keep everything evenly distributed.
- Use regular half and half, not fat free half and half. The flavor and texture is simply not as good.
- Keep the addition of herbs and spices to a minimum. A dash of salt and pepper goes a long way.
This is ham and broccoli quiche. There are many great combinations. Here are a few to try:
• Cheddar cheese, ham and broccoli
• Swiss cheese, bacon or ham, onion and a dash of nutmeg and cayenne (Quiche Lorraine)
• Monterey and parmesan cheese, crab or shrimp, onion, red pepper and thyme
Ham and broccoli quiche. Creamy and delicious.
Easy Peasy Quiche
- 1 9 inch pie shell
- 1/2 cup cooked meat (ie. ham, bacon, prosciutto, seafood)
- 1/4 cup cooked vegetable (ie. broccoli, red pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms)
- 2 ounces shredded cheese (ie. cheddar, swiss, monterey jack or a blend)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
- herbs and spices to taste
Pre-heat the oven to 375 F. In the pie shell, add the meat and vegetable. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and blend in the half and half and any seasonings. Do not over-beat the eggs. Add about ¾ of your cheese to the pie shell. Now add the egg mixture and top with the rest of the cheese. You can put the quiche on a baking sheet before going into the oven if you find it difficult to place it in the oven. Bake for 40 – 55 minutes. The quiche is done when a knife in the center comes out clean. The top should be a nice golden brown.