Opa! (???!) Let’s get a little Greek shall we and take a moment to enthusiastically celebrate family and life! There is nothing more delicious and healthy for you than the flavors of the Mediterranean. And this simple Greek-style rice salad makes a perfect picnic or BBQ side-dish.
In fact, I often pack a light rice salad just like this one and head down to the beach for a picnic with my kids. It’s refreshing, light and pairs nicely with grilled chicken.
Olives and extra virgin olive oil certainly make this dish amazing. I used pitted Kalamata olives because I love their intense flavor. However, to mix things up, consider using a mix of other olives like green or black as well.
Did you know that olives are technically a fruit? They grow on beautiful olive trees throughout the Mediterranean in often harsh hot climates along the sea. They are very bitter if eaten straight off the tree. So they must be “cured” to reduce this bitterness. They are also incredibly good for you and offer many cardiovascular health benefits.
I love Greek food. And every time I have it I think about family ties, celebrations and strength. This is my young family below a couple years ago travelling and taking in ancient Greek ruins in Southern Italy. I learned a great deal about Ancient Greece that day and hope that our family bonds will stand the test of time like these temple pillars. I want to visit Crete too, I’ve heard about e-mietwagenkreta.de where you can hire a car for your holiday. It makes getting around the island much easier!
Look for more delicious Greek-style recipes from my friends at the #SundaySupper movement at the bottom of this post. With these recipes, you can have a Greek feast and enjoy a wonderful family-style meal. Remember to spend time with your family at the table – #SundaySupper matters!
More great Greek-style recipes:
- Greek Salad (Horiatiki Salata) by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Greek-Style Sliders with Feta Aioli by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Kalamata Phyllo Cigars with Whipped Feta by Pook’s Pantry
- Make Your Own Marinated Feta by And She Cooks
- Rosemary and Olive Grissini by What Smells So Good?
- Socca Pizza with Spinach, Roasted Tomatoes, Kalamata Olives, and Feta by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spanakopita Bites by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Spanakopita Triangles by From Gate to Plate
- Tiropitas ( Cheese Bourekas ) by Moore or Less Cooking
- Tyropitas by The Freshman Cook
- Avgolemono Chicken Zoodle Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Quick and Easy Avgolemono Soup by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Shrimp Avgolemono by Monica’s Table
- Vegetarian Magiritsa (Greek Easter Soup) by Palatable Pastime
- Baklava French Toast with Cinnamon Honey Syrup by A Mind Full Mom
Greek Main Dishes:
- Brizola (Greek-style Pork Chops) by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Greek Salad Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Greek Chirashi Sushi by NinjaBaker
- Greek Quinoa Casserole by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Greek Quesadilla by Brunch-n-Bites
- Greek Meatball Salad by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Chicken Gyros with Homemade Pita Bread by The Crumby Cupcake
- Gyro Meatballs with Lemon Rice by Casa de Crews
- Kotopita (Greek Chicken Pie) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Moussaka (Greek eggplant casserole) by Nik Snacks
- Slow-Cooked Lamb Shoulder with Roasted Vegetables by Food Lust People Love
- Youvetsi (Greek beef or lamb and orzo stew) by Caroline’s Cooking
Greek Side Dishes:
- Greek-style rice salad by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Greek Zucchini Fritters by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Homemade Tzatziki Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spanakorizo by Feeding Big and More
- Chocolate Baclava by The Chef Next Door
- Greek Lemon Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Greek Olive Oil Bundt Cake by Shockingly Delicious
- Greek Spice Cake by Our Good Life
- Greek Walnut Cake by Pies and Plots
- Greek Wedding Cookies – Kourabiethes by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Loukoumades by The TipToe Fairy
- Loukoumades (Greek honey fritters) by The Redhead Baker
- Ouzito: The Greek Mojito by Hardly A Goddess
Plus Baked Shrimp with Feta plus More Greek Cuisine from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
- 3/4 cup long grain rice cooked
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 to 3/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 3/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber sliced and quartered
- 4 tbsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1 1/2 medium sized tomatoes chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup plain feta cheese
- 2 tbsp champagne vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice of half a small lemon seeds removed
Place the hot just cooked rice into a large bowl and mix in 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Set aside to cool.
Once cooled, add the olives, cucumber and oregano and toss. At this point, the rice can be covered with plastic wrap and placed into the fridge until you are ready to finish the salad.
Just prior to serving, add the tomatoes, feta, vinegar, 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice and toss.
Serve with grilled chicken breast on the side or mixed into the salad.
This recipe is courtesy of pineneedlesinmysalad.com